Prepare 30 minutes, plus overnight refrigeration
- 1 loaf oval-shaped sourdough bread
- 290g jar roasted peppers, drained
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 balls mozzarella (250g), drained and sliced
- 90g pack spicy Italian salami
- 90g pack pepperoni slices
- 100g wild rocket
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 1 tbsp small capers
- 4 pepperoncini (pickled peppers) or peppadew, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp oregano
- In a small bowl, mix the relish ingredients and season with salt & pepper.
- Slice the top 4cm off the top of the loaf. Scoop out most of the inside, leaving 4cm at the bottom. Layer the ingredients inside the loaf, starting with the roasted peppers, then ½ the relish, the red onion, remaining relish, mozzarella, salami, pepperoni, and rocket. Put the top back on and wrap very tightly in plastic wrap.
- Put the loaf on a tray topped with another tray. Weigh it down with something heavy, such as a cast-iron frying pan. Place in the fridge for 4 hours, but for best results keep in the fridge overnight.
- To serve, unwrap and cut into thick slices.