- 3 large eggs
- 85g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp butter, melted
- 70g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Icing and topping
- 100g mini chocolate eggs
- 1 flake or broken up chocolate bar
- 90g soft butter
- 90g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Please ensure that this recipe is done with the help of an adult.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Place 12 cupcake cases in a cupcake baking tray tin.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy – this will take around 5-8 minutes with a stand mixer or 10 minutes using an electric hand whisk. The mixture will have increased in volume and should be thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk blades are lifted.
- Now gently fold in the melted butter. Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder over the surface and fold in using a large spoon, trying not to knock out too much air.
- Divide the mixture between the cases, then bake for 15-20 minutes until well risen and the sponge springs back when gently pressed. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then lift out onto a cooling rack.
- Now it is time to decorate! Beat the butter, icing sugar, coco powder, vanilla and 2 tsp hot water together using an electric whisk for 4-5 mins until light, fluffy and nearly doubled in size.
- Spoon your butter icing into a piping bag with a star nozzle. Pipe a circle on to the cupcakes, ensuring there is a hole in the middle.
- Break your flake or chocolate bar into pieces, so they resemble small branches. Place over the icing so it starts to look like a nest. Now put the chocolate eggs in the middle.