• Now is the perfect time to get the lawnmower out and cut your grass for the first time this year. Cut grass with the lawn mower blades set high for the first few times, then use a good lawn feed and weed killer to help your lawn look its best. Also re-seed and re-turf any bald patches.
• Thin out herbaceous plants, prune spring flowering shrubs once flowering has finished and trim evergreen hedges and shrubs.
• In early April sow garden vegetables like potatoes, peas, broad beans, leeks, cauliflower, summer cabbage, brussel sprouts, onions, spinach, turnips, parsnips and lettuce outdoors or, if you leave it too late, young vegetable plants can be bought from garden centres. Other vegetables like cucumbers, courgettes and outdoor tomatoes can be sown under glass and runner beans can be started individually in 3 inch pots ready for planting in May.
• It’s also a good time to sow seeds of hardy annuals like nasturtium, calendula, lavatera and cornflowers.
• Sprinkle rose fertiliser around roses and begin to spray them to control pests and diseases.
• Feed all other plants in the garden using a slow-release fertiliser to improve plant flowering and growth.
• It’s also an ideal time to plant strawberry plants in your garden.